Search This Blog

Saturday 8 December 2012

Packing for a wine adventure

So I am days away from a new wine adventure. Chile! I am there for 19 day and hope to visit as many wineries as I can. This will certainly be an adventure for us because there are no Spanish speaking people traveling. :) I guess we will just talk with our hands and iPhones. Ha ha.
So what to pack on a wine adventure. We have a 22hr trip so I want to keep it to a minimum. I have a wine traveler that I am using as a suitcase so I can bring as much wine home as possible. The weather is beautiful right now in chile so I think all I need is thin light clothes. I am bringing my WSET text and some other wine books. Some comfy shoes for walking and plenty of power converters for all the phones, laptops, 3DS, and other gadgets.
I did download a new blog app so I can post wine notes on the go. Hopefully this means I can post much more regularly on my trip and not have to wait till I get home. I guess we will have to see how available the Internet and cell service is once we are down there.
When it is -24c and winter is everywhere I usually crave full bodied reds to keep me warm but I think my body knows we are heading south because all week I was hunting Sauvignon Blancs and other lighter reds. I did enjoy one full bodied red from chile that certainly deserves a mention. 2008 Encierra - a blend of 50% Cab Sauv, 40% Syrah, 8% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot. This rich viscous red was mouth filling. Dark fruits and baking spices linger while a clean acidity keeps it balanced. Drinking this wine made made me even more excited to go! See you in chile. :)